Commercial projects will be governed by the International Building Code (IBC).
Commercial (Retail, Office, Industrial) Site Improvement/Building Process: Application, Site Plan Review, Building Permit/Plans Review, & Inspections
1.Contact the City Planner to schedule a pre-application conference to discuss commercial site improvement proposal and confirm use permissibility in the applicable Zoning District.
2.Submit Project/Development Application for Planning Commission Review (contact City Recorder for current fee schedule). Please refer to the Site Plan Checklist, Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision Regulations, if applicable, for additional information regarding preparation of the application.
- Application, including all required Site Plan materials and application fees, must be submitted to the City Recorder at least fifteen (15) days prior to the Planning Commissioner's regularly scheduled meeting in order to be accepted at that meeting.
3.Present application/proposal to the City of Piperton Planning Commission on set date for review by City Planner.
4.Present application/proposal to the City of Piperton Board of Zoning Appeals, if Special Exception is required for proposed use.
5.If Project/Development Application is approved by the Planning Commission (and/or Board of Zoning Appeals, if applicable), applicant may proceed to the City of Piperton Board of Mayor and Commissioners for Development Contract approval, if applicable.
6.Present Final, Approved Site Plan to the City Planner for recording at the Fayette County Register's Office, if applicable.
7.Upon recordation of the Approved Site Plan, if applicable, applicant may make application to the Building Official for a Building Permit.
8.Submittal of Construction Drawings for Building Permit:
- Minimum of four sets of drawings required
- Plans shall be drawn and stamped by State of Tennessee licensed Architect and Structure Engineer
- Plans shall include Site, Building Structural, Seismic, Fire, Plumbing, Gas, Mechanical, and Electrical.
NOTE: Electrical Plans shall be submitted to and permitted by the State of Tennessee. Fire Plans shall be submitted to and permitted by the Piperton Fire Department. (2 sets)
9.The permit application will be reviewed. (The items listed below are not all-inclusive but are some of the most common items reviewed by the individual departments.)
Please note that permit review may vary depending upon the scope of the application.
- Building Department - reviews contractor licensing class, proper designations relevant to work being performed, individual tradesman designations, expiration dates on license and tradesman certifications, fees, costs of construction, description of work, description of construction type, edition of applicable codes, mechanics lien, owner affidavit, appropriate signatures; performs plan review for code compliance.
- Planning - reviews spatial arrangement of structure(s) on property relative applicable zoning district bulk requirements; parking and internal circulation; and landscaping, screening, and lighting.
- Engineering - reviews all site construction design documents, including utilities, drainage, and erosion control.
- Finance/Administration - confirms receipt of all required fees associated with the application,; reviews business license requirements as applicable.
10.The plans will be reviewed.
11.Correct, modify, and resubmit documents if any departments require clarification or changes to the original submittal.
12.Pick up and pay for the building permit. Once the permit application has been approved and paid for, the applicant will receive a copy of the permit.
13.Post copy of permit on job site.
14.Request required inspections by calling 901-853-4830, ext. 4.
15.Complete the work and obtain the final inspection.
16.Obtain a Certificate of Occupancy (if applicable).