Trash and Recycling
The City of Piperton contracts with Waste Connections for garbage and yard waste pick-up on Friday of every week, with the exception of holidays. Please make sure that all carts are at the curb by 6 am in order to ensure timely pickup.
The City will charge $18.27 per month for basic residential service, which includes one blue cart for household garbage and one gray cart for yard waste.
The charge per month for commercial garbage service is $15.02. Commercial yard waste is a separate charge of $6.15 per month.
This amount will appear on your monthly water bill. After the 10th day of the month, late charges will be incurred.
If carts are not serviced, please leave carts curbside. Occasionally, Waste Connections is not able to complete their route on Friday (the scheduled pick-up day) and will return on Saturday. If carts are not serviced by Monday morning, please call City Services at 901-221-7806, or Email Leslie Etz and/or Email Christi Cannon. A request will be made for Waste Connections to recover any missed pick-ups within 1-2 business days of notification unless otherwise stated.
The following are important details concerning refuse collection provided by Waste Connections.
There will be no pickups on the following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
If your scheduled pickup day falls on or after one of these holidays, collection of your trash will be delayed by one day.
Containerize or bag all household garbage. Please break down boxes and stack neatly in a single box, then place beside garbage cart. Waste Connections' drivers will document occurrences when carts are not out at time of collection.
It is required that you use the blue company provided 95 gallon roll cart for garbage. Should you have additional garbage that will not fit into the cart, please bag and place it on top of the cart or next to the cart. These bags cannot weigh more than 40 pounds each. If you have overflow garbage more than three weeks in a row, you will need to call City Services at 901-221-7806 and request additional cart(s). The cost of each additional cart will be $4.20 per month.
Yard Waste Containers
It is required that you use the gray company provided 95 gallon roll cart for yard waste only. Yard waste must be placed inside the gray cart. Do not bag yard waste placed in the container. Yard waste consists of grass clippings, leaves, wood chips, and tree branches ONLY. Any non-yard waste materials (no sod, no sand or dirt, no rocks or cement, no trash or plastic bags) in the cart will result in non-pickup and yard waste will, therefore, not be recycled.
- Larger tree trimmings (twigs/branches) not to exceed 5 feet in length and 5" in diameter.
- Small tree trimmings, grass, leaves, stems, stalks, flowers not to exceed 2 feet in length and less than 2" in diameter to be placed in a container or bag.
- Maximum weight of any item placed out for yard waste shall be 35 lbs.
- Yard waste is limited to 2 cubic yards and should meet specifications as listed above.
- Bagged yard waste must have an orange yard waste sticker in order to remove from the residence. The orange yard waste stickers can be purchased for $0.55 each at the City Administrative Office located at 3725 Highway 196, Suite B.
- Only properly prepared yard waste will be picked up. If additional carts are needed, please call City Services at 901-221-7806 to request additional cart(s); the cost of each additional cart will be $4.20 per month.
All carts will be retrieved from the curbside. Please allow 5 feet between carts and any obstructions such as mail boxes or lights.
The following materials shall be collected:
- All household garbage bagged and in cart
- All yard waste cut to specification and in cart
- All yard waste bagged and labeled with Yard Waste Stickers
The following materials will not be collected:
- Construction materials (tile, rocks, dirt, concrete, and etc.)
- Car batteries
- Tires and large auto parts
- Computer monitors
- Dead animals
Disposal of any material labeled "hazardous" should be dealt with by contacting the Fayette County Health Department at 901-465-5243. Some of these substances are extremely dangerous and may cause injury to Waste Connections' personnel or to the public. Please do not place hot coals or ashes in carts. Gas grills will not be picked up due to gas in the lines. You may also contact the Fayette County Solid Waste Department at 901-465-5230, located at 11675 Highway 76 S, Somerville, TN, 38068. Liability for hazardous materials remains with you.
The City also contracts with Waste Connections for recycling services. This service is offered for $7.62 per month. This amount will also appear on your monthly water bill with late charges incurring after the 10th day of the month Service consists of alternating weekly pickups on Fridays. A blue cart with a green lid will be provided; recycling does not have to be bagged.
Recyclable materials consist of:
- Junk mail
- Broken-down cardboard boxes
- Metal cans (aluminum / steel; must be rinsed out)
- Plastics (codes 1-2; must be rinsed)
What can I not recycle?
The following materials are not accepted:
- Plastic Codes 3 and above
- Ceramics or dishes
- Food Waste (including pizza boxes and food delivery containers)
- Plastic shopping bags (grocery, sandwich, and retail bags)
- Motor oil containers
- Light Bulbs
- Soiled paper
- Scrap metal
Please call City Services at 901-221-7806 if additional carts are needed; the cost of each additional cart will be $4.20 per month.
Recycling Pickup Schedule
Piperton is scheduled for pickup every FRIDAY that is marked GREEN on the Recycling Calendar.
Recycling follows the same Holiday Schedule as above. If your scheduled pickup day falls on or after one of the listed holidays, collection will be delayed by one day.
Same as residential, please leave carts curbside if not serviced on scheduled pick-up day. Call City Services at 901-221-7806, or Email Leslie Etz and/or Email Christi Cannon if carts are not serviced by Monday morning. A request will be made for Waste Connections to recover any missed pick-ups within 1-2 business days of notification unless otherwise stated.
If you need further information regarding trash and recycling services, please visit the Waste Connections website.
If you are a person with a qualified disability and need assistance, please call the Local ADA Coordinator at 901-465-5205. All public buildings are handicapped accessible and properly maintained for the safety of citizens, visitors and employees of Piperton.