Welcome to Piperton!
We are happy that you have chosen the City of Piperton as your new home. It is our hope that this information will ensure that you are aware of the City services available to you and help create a smooth transition to your new home and community.
- The City of Piperton was incorporated in 1974 and is home to 2,010 people according to the 2019 Special Census. We are located at the Southwestern most part of Fayette County, Tennessee, abutting Shelby County and Marshall County, MS.
- Piperton's governing body consists of 4 commissioners and a mayor, all popularly elected and serving 4-year terms that are staggered with elections for 2 or 3 commissioners every 2 years. Visit our Boards and Commissioners page for more information.
- The City Administration Office is located at 3725 Highway 196, Suite B in Piperton. The mailing address is P.O. Box 328, Collierville, TN 38027. Telephone number is 901-853-4830. Operating hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- The emergency telephone number for police, ambulance, and fire rescue is 911.
- For non-emergency police calls, you may call the Police Department directly at 901-861-8424. Hours of operation are 24/7. They also provide a service called Vacation Check, which means they will check the security of your home daily while you are away on vacation. The emergency phone number for alarm companies is 901-465-3456.
- For non-emergency fire calls, you may call the Fire Department directly at 901-853-2195. Hours of operation are 24/7. Please be advised that NO OUTSIDE, OPEN BURNING IS ALLOWED in Piperton without a permit from the Fire Department.
- Water/Garbage: New residents must contact the Utility Clerk at the City Administration office to set up new services. Please bring 2 forms of identification, close relative's name and address, and check or cash for payment of fees. Learn more about Garbage and Recycling information, including collection schedule. For questions about setting up new services, call 901-853-4830, ext. 1 during normal business hours.
- Sewer: If your new home contains a Decentralized Sewer System, please thoroughly read your Homeowner's Manual. If a system alarm sounds, please silence the alarm and call 901-853-4830, ext. 1 during regular business hours. After business hours, please call 901-316-8726.
- Natural Gas: Piperton is serviced by Hardeman Fayette Utility District for natural gas. New residents must contact them directly at 901-877-6236 to set up new service.
- Electric: Piperton is serviced by Chickasaw Electric for electricity. New residents must contact them directly at 901-465-3591 to set up new service.
Building & Codes
The City of Piperton has comprehensive ordinances governing the maintenance of private properties. These ordinances set minimum standards for the maintenance of residential and business properties to prevent unsafe and unsightly conditions. Properties that do not meet the minimum standards are considered to be in violation and a public nuisance.
Through voluntary compliance and a spirit of personal responsibility, the majority of any code violations are corrected. The success of this code enforcement program rests upon each property owner being a good neighbor by maintaining his/her private property.
For further information, or to report a violation, please call 901-853-4830, ext. 4.
As you settle into your new home, we are sure that you will have questions regarding what types of improvements you can and cannot make. Before you begin a project at your home, please call the Building Official at 901-853-4830, ext. 4 to determine if you need a permit to make these improvements.
The permit process involves three main steps: application, plan review, and inspection. Building staff will work with you at each stage of the project to ensure the successful completion of your project. The permit process ensures projects are constructed safely. Plan reviews and field inspections allow Building to verify that each project meets the minimum requirements of the adopted building codes and City Ordinances.
New residents or those returning to Tennessee and holding a driver license from another state must obtain a Tennessee driver license no later than thirty (30) days after establishing residency. Learn more about Tennessee State Driver Services.
Driver testing centers are not located in Piperton. You may visit the Driver License Service Center in Oakland at 106 Beau Tisdale Drive. Telephone number is 901-465-6576. They are open 8:30 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday.
Motor Vehicle Registration
Vehicle registration is serviced by the Fayette County Clerk's Office. There is a satellite office located at the Piperton City Hall, 3575 Highway 196 in Piperton. This office is only open on Thursdays from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Please bring current registration and proof of address.
You can register to vote by completing this Voter Registration Application and returning it to the Fayette County Election Commission at 45 Dogwood Lane in Somerville. You may also mail it to P.O. Box 339, Somerville, TN 38068. Learn more about How to Register to Vote in Tennessee.