Building and Codes
It is the mission of the Building and Codes Department to promote building safety through code compliance, to assist citizens, contractors and design professionals in completing building projects, to enhance neighborhood quality of life; and to assure Piperton is compliant with state building code laws.
The Building and Codes Department provides the following services:
- Building Plans Review
- Building Permit Issuance
- Conduct Building Code Inspections (Except Electrical - see below note)
- Property Maintenance Inspections
- Final Inspections
- Certificate of Occupancy Issuance
- Code Compliance/Enforcement
- General Zoning Ordinance Inquiries
Required Code Permits
By law, permits and inspections are required for new construction, additions, and remodeling work to confirm that all structures meet applicable City, State, and Federal building code requirements. Any owner or owner's authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be performed, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit (R105.1 Required). Permits may be applied for at the City Administrative Office located at 3725 Highway 196, Suite B in Piperton.
Fire Sprinkler System
An automatic fire sprinkler system is required in all new building construction and is enforced and inspected by the Piperton Fire Department. Permits must be submitted to the Piperton Fire Department and approved prior to installation. For questions or to schedule a fire suppression system inspection, please call the Piperton Fire Department at 901-853-2195. Please click here for a sprinkler permit application.
Electrical Permits & Inspections
Electrical permits and inspections are handled through the State of Tennessee.
For a current fee schedule and information, see our Fee Revision Ordinance (PDF).
Official Building Code
- International Building Code (2018 Edition)
- International Residential Code (2018 Edition)
- International Plumbing Code (2018 Edition)
- International Mechanical Code (2018 Edition)
- International Fuel Gas Code (2018 Edition)
- International Property Maintenance Code (2018 Edition)
- International Energy Conservation Code (2018 Edition)
- International Existing Building Code (2018 Edition)
- International Swimming Pool and Spa Code (2018 Edition)
- International Zoning Code (2018 Edition)
- International Green Construction Code (2018 Edition)
- International Private Sewage Disposal Code (2018 Edition)
- ICC Performance Code for Buildings and Facilities (2018 Edition)